Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Beautiful shoes?

Lena loves beautiful shoes.  The fancier the better-- bows, shiny material, flowers, you name it, if it's beautiful she wants to wear it.  She does NOT want to wear her sensible (pink!) sneakers I bought her.  Even if she falls in her beautiful shoes because they don't fit right, or even if they give her blisters, those are the ones she wants and it's a fight to get her into the sneakers.
I prefer sneakers or flip flops myself.  Occasionally for work I'll manage a pair of comfortable-ish heels or cute flats.  I asked my mom what I was like at Lena's age and she said I liked comfortable shoes then too-- but that I didn't have much of a choice because I only had 2 pairs at a time, my sneakers and my dressy shoes.  So maybe I indulge Lena's love of beautiful shoes too much... but she also gets bagfuls from generous friends who give us their hand-me-downs. 
(So she doesn't think I'm forgetting her some time in the future-- Mikaela now likes to eat her little leather shoes.  I put them on her mostly to keep her from pulling off her socks!)
I'm generally okay with my "comfortable" taste in shoes.  I also happen to think it's totally unfair that men don't have to wear heels to look stylish, and that I should be teeter-tottering around and getting blisters on my feet to look slim and chic.  But there is the occasional time that my shoes make me feel dumpy and very “not beautiful!” as Lena would say.  At a recent Bar Mitzvah, even the GRANDMOTHER had on cuter shoes on than I did.  High-heeled little patent leather booties.  Why does it sometimes seem that everyone in Westchester dresses like Sarah Jessica Parker, at least from the ankles down??  Is my daughter going to end up wearing 4-inch heels by the time she's 13??
And I wonder, where does Lena get it from, this taste in girly-girl shoes and clothes?  Certainly not from me or Josh.  Are differences between the sexes really biologically driven?  Or does she watch too much TV?  (as an aside I realized that the Tinkerbell movies may be inappropriate for her when she said she didn’t like the costume I bought her… that it wasn’t open “down to the tushie” and didn’t have “little fairy boobies” like Tinkerbell’s real dress!!!!!??!!!).  Even Sesame Street these days has to protect its innocence, taking the Katy Perry segment it filmed out, after her outfit was deemed too low-cut.
Part of my problem with Lena's shoes I think is my apprehension about materialism and too-early sexualizing of young children.  I also don't like her falling over and getting boo-boo's all over her feet from uncomfortable shoes.  But more of it is that I want her to take on some of my values about practicality and focusing on what really matters.  I want her to understand that she is beautiful from the inside out, not from the outside in.  That no matter what’s on her feet or how she’s dressed, she should feel beautiful, or like Tinkerbell, or whomever or however she wants. 

No comments:

Post a Comment