Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Hannukah!!


Here it is, the 6th night of Hannukah, and I'm just writing my blog about the holiday.  I'm not sure why I'm feeling uninspired about this year's Hannukah, why I haven't written yet.  Maybe I've just been too tired and need to bring more light into my life during this dark time of year.

Hannukah is a holiday about light-- the main symbol of course being the Hannukah menorah, the hannukiyah.  Growing up, I always called it the menorah, not the hannukiyah-- in fact, I never heard that specific term until I got to cantorial school!  Lena came home from her two's program talking about the hannukiyah and the shamash, pronounced in the proper Hebrew instead of how I always called it, the SHAmesh.  It was funny that she came home from school learning things that I obviously hadn't taught her!  I know this will happen often in the years to come but it was my first experience with my own 2.5-year-old kid.  Go Beth El Beginning Years!  (Lena goes to preschool at the synagogue in Chappaqua where my husband Josh is the rabbi)

During this dark time of year, and I think often in my brief experience as a parent, I wonder how I will make it to the end of the day, to the end of the week, until Grandma's next visit.  It's like I have only enough gas to last me one more mile-- but I know it has to last for a lot longer than that!  The miracle of Hannukah was that when they reconsecrated the Temple in Jerusalem, the Maccabees had oil enough only for one day -- but somehow that oil lasted for the 8 days it took to get oil from the nearest town.  The eternal flame burned and burned, without a break in its radiance until more oil could be brought.  I'm amazed that my love, energy, and commitment to being a parent blazes on even though I may feel like I'm on empty, that the flame is about to go out.  This I think is one of the great miracles of parenthood!  But I also know that I do have to find more oil, to keep refreshing the supply so that it never can go out.  So I'm looking forward to the next time that I have babysitting and don't have to go to work, or do much of anything else except relax.  And in the meanwhile I'm savoring the look in Lena's eyes as she sees the candles burning on our Hannukah Menorot, proclaiming the miracle for all to see.

1 comment: