Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Sharing Shabbat

Last fall I began my leadership of Sharing Shabbat at Westchester Reform Temple-- a Saturday morning family Shabbat service/ religious school/ adult parallel learning experience.  Following in the footsteps of cantorial greats such as Ellen Dreskin, Angela Buchdahl, and Dan Sklar, I now lead this group of Saturday regulars who come casually, snuggling with their kids, to pray and learn each week. What a privilege!

Of course I also bring my kids with me whenever I can-- Lena sometimes brings a chair right next to the pulpit so she can sit with her mommy too, just like everyone else does.  I do my best to watch her/ give her hugs when I can while also leading the service.  Multi-tasking in the extreme!  When Mikaela comes also I have my au pair with me or dedicated teenagers for them--two would be too much to manage and also lead with any intention.  I love that my girls know the prayer melodies, I love that they have temple friends they look forward to seeing each Saturday.  I know their favorite part is the oneg (food after the service), but that's okay with me too.

This past Saturday night we had a Sharing Shabbat adults-only havdalah and dinner.  As I introduced my husband to people (he also leads services on Saturday mornings and can't come with us to Sharing Shabbat) I realized how long I have known many of the people there.  Four of us were together in a toddler class years ago with our now 1st graders.  I named a few of the children, and had discussed with many of the adults their professions and outside interests.  How lovely it was to reconnect with these friends and begin to get to know some new people too, all without children pulling on us during the oneg time!

These type of connections with people are what drives my work as a cantor.  I hope to infuse people's lives with connections to Judaism, to each other in holy community, and through that to the Eternal.  

If you live in Westchester, whether or not you currently belong to Westchester Reform Temple or to Sharing Shabbat, join us with your family any Saturday morning at 9am in the Center for Jewish Life (pictured).  We all look forward to welcoming you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment