Wednesday, September 18, 2013

I'm baaaaaack... some thoughts about our move to NYC

Hi everyone,
   I'm back to blogging.  It's been a while.  I know.  I'm sorry.  S'licha!!!!!  Things have been very busy for me and my family.
    At the beginning of March, my husband was offered the position of Senior Rabbi of Congregation Emanu-El of the City of New York, an amazing opportunity for him and our whole family.  He accepted and we began our transition into New York City from the suburbs.  The transition involved a lot of getting rid of things-- selling two cars, furniture and smaller items (thank you Facebook and Chappaqua Moms Sales!), saying goodbye to schools and friends, and particularly to our house and suburban lifestyle.  In August, I took the girls for our final farewell to our old house.  I don't think Lena understood until that point that we were actually moving... FOREVER, as in, not going back to that house soon.  So, being a cantor, we had a little ceremony of goodbye.
    I took the girls through the empty house, saying goodbye to their empty rooms, the play room, etc.  After they had the experience of seeing everything all gone, we gathered together in the kitchen, and each of us thought of something wonderful that happened in the house, and something we wish we could leave behind with the old house.  For me-- I remembered the happy times with friends over, and the sad times when Lena was so sick in that house.  The girls shared their remembrances and we said a final thank you and goodbye.
   As we drove over to a neighborhood friend's house for a play date (since we're not that far away we actually see our good friends still... which is a terrific thing for all of us), Lena began to cry and scream.  "I DON'T WANT TO MOVE TO NYC!!!  I WANT TO LIVE HERE!!!  I WANT TO GO TO MY OLD SCHOOL!"  and so on and so on.  It wasn't until we said goodbye that the reality hit.  She's still dealing with stress of the move but thankfully is starting to adjust to our city life (more on that another time).
    Transitions in life are hard.  For adults, who understand it-- and I think ever more so for children who have no say in the matter.  Rituals-- this one that we did in the old house-- that confront the reality of a situation, can help.  At least help children understand what's going on.  When we all slept in the apartment for the first time we also said a prayer, the Shehecheyanu prayer, which thanks God for bringing us to this moment in our lives.
   So, now that we are settled and our first High Holy Days are behind us, I will be updating this blog often, sharing my ideas about balance, parenting, Jewish values...  tune in!
xoxo,
Cantor Mia

No comments:

Post a Comment