Friday, March 5, 2010

Shabbat Parah: Passover already??

This Shabbat is known as Parah-- the Shabbat after Purim when we officially begin our preparations for Passover.

(Does that mean that Passover is coming soon???  Eek!!!  I don't think we've even discussed where we're having seder this year... and the baby is due to arrive right afterward!!)

We read a special Torah portion on Shabbat Parah about a ritual of purification involving the red heifer (parah adumah in Hebrew).  The rabbis found this ritual to be strange, because it makes the pure people who lead the ritual impure, and the impure people, who need the ritual, pure.  Confused? 

It's kind of like starting off with a sink fully of dirty dishes and clean sponges.  After cleaning all the grease off, you have (hopefully) clean dishes and dirty sponges.  That is, if you have time to do the dishes while parenting small children.  I usually just let them pile up until someone else does them now... but that could have something to do with my belly hitting the counter whenever I try to get close to the sink.  Funny how the belly hitting the counter doesn't bother me as much tho when I'm serving myself something yummy... like cheesy bagels.  I just LOVE melted cheese on anything these days.  Good source of calcium?  Hopefully cheese melted on matza will satisfy the craving too.

Another topic-- Lena seems to be having the anxiety/ regression NOW that I expected a month from now when baby sister comes.  She's clingy, crying, anxious, or hyper... and doesn't seem to want to use the potty anymore.  What's the deal?   Help from others out there??

This is a picture of me from yesterday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment